We are the Lake County affiliate of a state and nationwide network of passionate professionals working in public schools to surround students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life.
LEADERSHIP DEVELOPMENT ACADAMY
Benefits of Leadership Development Academy (LDA):
- Program curriculum aligns with Indiana Common Core Standards in Reading and Literature, Writing, English Language Arts, Speaking and Listening
- Provide useful and valuable lessons in social behavior.
- Programs provide activities developed to impart an understanding of leadership and communication skills.
- Programs provide guidelines that help participants gain confidence.
- Programs will teach self-discipline and respect for others through civil instruction.
STARS MENTORING PROGRAM
The mission of CIS-Lake County’s S.T.A.R.S. Mentoring Program is to develop structured, trusting relationships with adult mentors who will provide students with ongoing guidance and support through high school graduation and into the students’ chosen path of postsecondary education. Mentoring works! We know this intuitively. We know this through research. We also know that mentoring works best when members of the community come together to invest in the future of their youth. The role of your partnership would be to give your employees an opportunity to contribute to youth and add shared value in Lake County communities. In addition to making children more confident in their schoolwork and more trusting of their parents or guardians, mentoring makes students:
- 52% less likely to skip school
- 46% less likely to begin using illegal drugs
- 37% less likely to skip a class
- 27% less likely to begin using alcohol
- 33% less likely to hit someone
Youth P.L.U.S. (Plan, Learn, Understand, Succeed)
- Youth P.L.U.S. is Communities In Schools of Lake County’s 21st Century Community Learning Centers Program.
- The mission of Youth P.L.U.S. is to provide targeted and sustained academic support and academic enrichment opportunities to assist increase graduation rates for Lake County schools.
- These programs are structured to link with the student’s school curriculum as well as provide homework assistance, tutoring and expanded academic enrichment activities.
Youth P.L.U.S. Clubs
Robotics – MetalMasters and Mindstorms
Combining the excitement of sport with the rigors of science and technology. FIRST Robotics Competition is the ultimate Sport for the Mind. High-school student participants call it “the hardest fun you’ll ever have.”
Under strict rules, limited resources, and an intense six-week time limit, teams of students are challenged to raise funds, design a team “brand,” hone teamwork skills, and build and program industrial-size robots to play a difficult field game against like-minded competitors. It’s as close to real-world engineering as a student can get. Volunteer professional mentors lend their time and talents to guide each team. Each season ends with an exciting FIRST Championship.
YME – Youth Music Experience
Learn to be creative through making music, Song writing composition, Make musical beats, Compose a CD with personal music on it.
Students learn the fundamentals to accurately play the game of Chess. Participants compete against each other including the opportunity to participate in local Chess tournaments.
“Talks My Mother/Father Never Had with Me”
Comic Book Project
(Create your own comic book)
Surf’s -Up Club: Technology
Showtime Club: Performing Arts
- “Word- Up”, Spoken Word
- Reader’s Theater
Picture This Club: Visual Arts
- Digital Photography
- Digital Video
(Finding Inspiration in Literature and Movies)
Truly Moving Picture Award-winning films are used to channel positive messages and life-affirming themes into the minds and lives of youth. The curricula are designed to get youth reading and watching quality content, provoke thought and exploration of pertinent themes and issues, and inspire participation in theme-based activities and service projects.
Leadership By Example Luncheon
Leadership By Example is an annual event that enables Communities In Schools of Lake County to honor community and business leaders as well as provide a much-needed opportunity for children to communicate one-on-one with a caring adult and learn about their life and their successful direction.
- Ladies of Distinction
- Men of Distinction
Communities in Schools Lake County, 100 W Chicago Ave. Suite G, East Chicago, IN 46312